Sunday, September 16, 2007

Halloween!!!!

This should technically be my last Halloween with the kids. I have entertained this thought this weekend, and at first, it broke my heart. There just can't be an end to Halloween. We can't just stop having our one day of the year that we love almost most of all---our one chance to prank, run, dress up, shock, gorge, and be general miscreants!!!!

Then I started to try to find ways around it. Cris is just over a year old. Kenna's pregnant---Sam's pregnant---new babies are coming, babies who'll have a crazy aunt and cousins to teach them all about toilet papering, comical costumes, how to get extra candy...yes, Halloween might carry on...but it just won't be the same. Maybe I might accept grandkids, after all. Just on Halloween.

And I thought about it even more....why can't they still dress up and go trick or treating? Maybe not to get candy, but one of the best parts of Halloween is the time spent with my kids while we brainstorm and create our costumes. And it's not like we still can't keep our other Halloween tradtions......the haunted house at my sister's farm.....(she can't wait for them to get older so she can put them to work as a spook instead of on the hayride having fun)...the trip to the pumpkin patch to pick a pumpkin and the hayride there, complete with pictures, apple cider, horse rides (Kameron hates those but always does it anyway), the house parties.....

Somehow I think next year will find me in severe denial of the fact my youngest will be official teens, and we'll still be making costumes....after all....aunt Janet needs more spooks for her haunted hayride. Until then, I am going to go for broke and enjoy this one for all I can milk out of it.

No comments: