Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Double Duty

DSP Blog prompt: Simplify life. We all have them, those household items that we purchase for one thing and then end up using them for another. What items do you have that serve double duty?

Wow, not many, off the top of my head. My son, well, you have to hide toothbrushes from him. No toothbrush is safe. He finetunes and polishes his shoes every night with a toothbrush, hopefully old!!!, some mild soap and water, a soft cloth, and shoe polish. I have never seen anyone so particular about his shoes!!!! I did eventually break him from toothpaste. I don't know where he got the idea that toothpaste was an awesome shoecleaner, but it took me about two years to get him to knock it off. He started this odd little habot when he was about ten. He'll be 16 this year. Too bad he doesn't clean the rest of his room like that!

As for me, I use the rubber cupboard liners to open tough jars. An apple goes in the potatoes to keep them from growing those little root/worm-looking things they get after you have had them for a bit. Lemon juice gets put on peeled apples AND peeled potatoes to keep them from going brown. OLD toothbrushes get the dirt out of the teensy tinsy cracks, should it live through the Boy, and oven cleaner is great for buildup on a linoleum floor surface. It's also the bomb for the bathtub. Come to think of it, oven cleaner gets out just about anything. Ink pens are used as hairsticks, socks as mittens in the winter....

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Chopsticks to keep hair up. Occasionally pencils; but pens tend to get wound up and tangled in my hair. Aren't toothbrushes wonderful?

loonyhiker said...

I didn't know that about oven cleaner! Great idea!

Unknown said...

I really didn't know about oven cleaner on linoleum floors, I'm going to remember that.

LOL about your son cleaning his shoes with toothpaste.

Galadriel x said...

I have a cheap pair of hair-straighteners in my craft-kit for 'ironing' used or creased ribbons. Curling tongs work nearly as well!