Friday, September 21, 2007

Cooking

DSP Blog prompt: I'm going to deviate from the Fashion theme today and ask if you have ever been in the middle of cooking when if you realized you were missing a key ingredient and couldn't make a dash to the store? What did you do?

Ugh. Yes. More often than I'd like to admit. Most often when the kids were little, single mom, three young 'uns, pots full of food over an open fire...ick. So what do you do when you are making spaghetti and have no spaghetti? Hope you have rotini. Or, make sloppy joes on wheat bread.

I can't really think of any incident in particular, but I know I always find some way to improvise. Sometimes it doesn't turn out all that great, but I come custom built with Mammy's Depression waste-not-want-not attitude, and we usually seem to turn out okay.

I did have a friend one time who was completely broke with payday still 2 days away, who had one small pkg of hamburger meat left to his name, and had decided to fix himself a couple burgers one evening. He loved spiced so he decided to throw some cayenne in there. He was talking to me on the phone, and wasn't paying attention, and accidentally dumped cinnamon in the burgers insteads of cayenne.

He howled, and ate them anyway. It is still our favorite memory. (Except for the beer box, maybe, but that's a story for later.....)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Can't wait to hear about the beer box. Sounds interesting. And you know, it is high-class to add cinnamon to your burgers. Really. All the rage.