Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Herbs

Blog Prompt: Today is More Herbs, Less Salt Day. What herb(s) do you like in your food?

Olive oil is not an herb but I pay the extra price and use it for everything I can in place of butter or vegetable oil. It really adds flavor to things and has lots of health benefits. I love fried eggs and fried okra, so I use it for that...I use it in place of butter when cooking any of the packaged pastas, in my spaghetti, I sautee cubed meat in it alot, with some Italian herbs and that is sooooo good...so when I DO just HAVE to have something fried I use that instead. It doesn't take gobs, just a couple tablespoons. It's also wonderful on toast in place of butter.

I have to say I'm heavy on the garlic, and any herb considered Italian. My son likes to peel potatoes, brush them with olive oil and basil, and bake them. I like to make steak rubs. And I love lemon pepper!!!! Cubed meat (any kind, just make sure it is lean) in a tablespoon of olive oil, lemon pepper, and garlic, and I don't need anything else!

I want someday to have a garden...even though I'm not a green thumb. Faerie/flower gardens around the house, vegetable and herb garden in the back.

It's just late summer, and I am in the mood for shelling something, or shucking, or canning or 'putting up' something. Maybe I'll go visit the vegetable stand later and get my fix.....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I would love to have an herb garden. Wouldn't that just be heavenly? I also like taking slices of crusty Italian bread, rubbing it with garlic and sprinkling olive oil over it. I'm getting hungry, LOL.

loonyhiker said...

I didn't know that I could use olive oil in place of butter so now I will remember that. I only use olive oil too but not so much for taste but that I believe it is healthier for you. I loveeeee garlic though!