Wednesday, April 4, 2007

DSP Blog Prompt: Overbooked

From Meg:
So, in reference to my yesterday.... What do you do when you find yourself overbooked? Are you someone that pushes through and collapses at the end? Cancel out selectively and give yourself breathing room? Or maybe curl up in the fetal position and cry?

For me it depends on how bad the 'overbooking' can be. I am the type of person who can't stand to ask for help. I am divorced and I have raised my children alone for most of the time I have been a mother. I buried both parents before I was 30. I have been the victim of spousal abuse more than once. I have went hungry and I have been homeless. Life has taught me that if I want anything done I'd better do it by myself, all by myself and I'd better figure out how to get it done, quick, and not trust anybody in the process. So I tend to over-extend myself a lot. I think I can do it all. I have a hard time saying 'no.'

I am a person that is 'all of the above.' If I push through and collpase at the end, it takes me a couple days to get over it, then I wonder how I ever got through it. Sometimes I have to make myself say 'no' no matter how much I do not want to disappoint someone else. And if I am ever pushed to the point to where I curl up and cry, well, I cry, then I get mad. Then I push through. Then I wonder where I found the strength to do it.

And, sometimes, I'm like Scarlett O'Hara. I just have to 'think about that tomorrow.'

3 comments:

loonyhiker said...

Wow! What a courageous woman you are! I'm a lot like you though about asking for help. I always try to be super...(supermom, superwife, superteacher, superfriend - you get the picture). That is what gets me in trouble.

Sharon said...

I never seem to ask for help either. I have just gotten sick of the excuses that I get. Easier to do it myself. Sad that we have to be/feel this way though.

Pam said...

Howdy!! Many/most don't really understand, care, or realize why we are where we are. I used to classify myself as a survivor (way long before the TV show). My parents died - I even slept in my car (storing my belongings). But my kids grew up appreciative and I still have to allow others to do for me cuz I've learned to do it myself!