Saturday, March 31, 2007

DSP Blog Prompt: Birthdays

Describe one of your childhood birthdays. Compare it to your current birthday celebrations, what has stayed the same over time?

My parents threw a birthday party for me when I was six years old. For the life of me I can't remember a thing about it other than the parties and the streamers, and how lucky I felt for them actually doing it for me. This was something all the other kids got, not me. I wasn't lucky enough to ever have the proverbial new bike wheeled out for me, but I got the party. Once. Birthdays weren't really much back then and maybe that's why I am not a big birthday person now....except for with the kids, and then I tend to go overboard.

After dad passed away and I got older the presents from mom got larger---maybe it was because I was getting older, or maybe it was because she felt bad about not making much out of my earlier birthdays. She went all out for my 16th birthday and took a freind and I to the Smoky Mountains for a weekend get away. My childhood birthdays might not have been the stuff of dreams but 16 did it all, and was the consummate gift for birthday before or since.

I have tried to make sure that my kids have always gotten something they really wanted for their birthday, whether it be the gift or the way we celebrate it.

Kam will be 16 this year. I am hoping to plan something just as special for him on his 16th just like Mom did me. I am hoping to make that a tradition for our family.

No comments: