Thursday, April 26, 2007

DSP Blog Prompt Thursday 4/26/07

What is your definition of 'success'? Do you know any 'successful' people who inspire you?

To me, the average definition of a 'successful person' brings to mind someone young, slim, pretty, no age showing, dressed perfectly and professionally, has all thier ducks in a row for the present and the future, and has no worries about anything horrible happening to them, nor do they carry any scars from anything horrible happening to them in the past. They are career oriented and more often than not do not have children. This seems to be the image that phrase would like, and does, convey to the masses. This is what we should strive to be.

This person does not exist. And that is not 'success' to me.

I can say I know that my definition of success is not the above, but I have a hard time pinpointing what I think it is. I think that most of the time it directly correlates with happiness and meeting your life's goals you set for yourself, and how meeting those goals improved or did not improve your life. To me, a lawyer with an unhappy home life is not successful. A drug addict is not successful, although they manage to 'reach their goal' of getting the next fix....personal gratification which hurts everyone around them. One person may consider having children something to really look down on others about, others do not feel as if they are complete without children in their lives. I would say, to me, success is measured in happiness and strength. It is certainly not monetary, although money problems can cause great stress. Although, many people love to run into someone they did not get along with in the past and be able to say....I have a bigger house, a better job, etc. Does this really define success to them?

My own personal stories of success involve making it through a trying time in my life in spite of this person or that person who did their best to complicate things for me. Success is also surrounding yourself with people that truly love you, and have your best interests at heart just as you do theirs.

I still have goals that I want to meet in my life. But I also have goals that I have met. The most important one is happiness. We all come home everyday and can focus fully on what's going on in our lives by sharing it with others in our home, and draw strength and security from one another as we live our lives and work on our other goals that may make us feel 'successful'.

I do not know if I am a successful person yet. When my children emerge as clear thinking, responsible, happy adults, I will consider myself successful. But so far I feel like we are on the right track.

No comments: