Monday, May 7, 2007

DSP Blog Prompt 5/7/07

Blog Prompt: What do you think about ghosts?

I know plenty of people who believe in them. I have had some strange experiences but I can't say I have out and out full fledged come face to face with a spectre of the highly publicized translucent white, neither benign or malignant. What messes with me the most are my dreams. My sister has dreams like this, too. I would really like to see a ghost, preferably one benign.

Perhaps the most disturbing experience I have had was when I had first split up with my husband. When I rented a house, a friend of mine was going to help me move some things in. When getting directions, he got rather white and said "Um, you can't move there. That place is haunted." And proceeded to tell me about a woman named Susan who supposedly haunted my new house. He had known people who lived there before, evidently. So, fine, I arranged for other help. Poor Lon was so spooked that he never came to see me. Now I think is a perfect time to mention that I never ever said anything about Susan or a ghost to my children. The twins were about 4 years old at the time.

Not long after we were living there, Ro got up from bed one night and said, "Mommy, I can't sleep. That lady won't go away."

What?!

So I go into their bedroom, and for the life of me I can't see a thing. I turn the light on. Nothing.
"Ro, honey, there's no lady in here."
"Ya huh. She's in the corner. See her?" Ro asks.
Then Nicole interjects with, "Her eyes are black."
"Nic, you see her too?"
"Yea. She's right there gosh Mommy!"
"What's she wearing?"
"White stuff! Since you can't see her can we just sleep with you?"
So the twins curl into bed with me, and right before I turn the light out, Rowan says, "Nicole look! There she is again! In the fan light."

That creeped me out so bad that I got them dressed, got my son dressed, and flew, past midnight, to my friend Bryan's house. I got him up, out of bed, and made him come spend the rest of the night at our house on the sofa! But after that, in the year we lived in that rented house, we never saw anything else of our lady ghost with big black eyes. But Bryan and Lonnie never let me live down my horrible lapse of courage that one night.

No comments: