Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Childhood Collections

DSP Blog Prompt: Did you collect anything as a child? Why or why not? What was the significance of your collection and where did you procure it? Do you still have any or all of the collection now?


I wasn't much of a collector as a kid, but I got into collectibles a bit as I have grown older. I had a mediocre stamp collection that my grandfather helped me build as a child. It stemmed from the stamp collection my father left behind when he passed away. I kept it for years and year, but when I moved out, I left it with Mom, and I guess she spring cleaned one year and got rid of it. Amazing how you can totally forget something that was so importangt to you, then something will make you remember it. And you are left with....'wow. I'm an idiot. I'd give my left eyetooth to have that back.'

As I got older I started to collect dragons, because it seemed like an odd thing to collect, and something nobody would have much of. Then, I branched out to wizards, castles, faeries, etc. Soon dragons and fantasy figurines were everywhere so it became not-so-interesting anymore. Kameron decided he wanted the dragon collection, so I passed it to him, but he has pretty much outgrown it as well.

Now my house is littered with faeries. My computers are sprinkled with faeries, and my cubicle at work is spilling over with printed digital scrapbook pages and faerie statues.

One other thing I think it is safe to say that I collect is sewing fabric. I have boxes and boxes of fabric that I am going to sew something out of....

one of these days......

2 comments:

Karen said...

Love to read about other collectaholics. A bummer about the stamp collcetion though. I also find that my attention span moves on from a particular collection after a while and I had the need to start up yet another.

Unknown said...

I collect cross stitch thread and fabric. Have a whole room of it that I really need to do something with. Maybe soon.....